Fourth of July is two days away and if you’re anything like me, you’re supposed to be bringing a side dish that you haven’t given two seconds of thought. As in like this blog post just reminded you! <— That would be me. If that’s you too, consider this blog post specifically for you! I’m sharing a fruit salad I’ve made multiple times now, and it has easily become a summertime staple for me. It’s great for parties, but its also good to have a bowl sitting in the fridge at home at all times! It has less than 5 ingredients, and it’s the perfect patriotic pop of color for any holiday party you’re heading to this week!
I’m not going to lie, this recipe is just a watermelon feta salad with a few tweaks! While I can’t take any credit for the watermelon and feta trend, although I wish I could, this is just a spiced up version, which means it’s uber simple to make!
Watermelon Blueberry Salad
- The meat of 1 whole large seedless watermelon, cut into 1 inch chunks (look for the watermelon with the biggest light colored spot – those are always the best inside, I promise it works every time!)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta (I used the Athens “Mediterranean” version because I think it adds the most flavor – but use plain feta if that’s more your style!)
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint leaves
- Chop your watermelon into one inch chunks and place them in a large bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the lemon juice and olive oil and whisk together.
- Pour the olive oil mixture over the watermelon, and toss until the watermelon is coated.
- Add the chopped mint and blueberries to the watermelon mixture and mix until evenly combined.
- Add salt to taste (Note that the feta will add saltiness so don’t add too much!)
- Transfer to your serving dish and crumble the feta on top.
- Add a few whole mint leaves for garnish, and drizzle with olive oil.
I like to add balsamic to give this salad even more flavor, but not everyone likes it, and the brown makes it a little less than appealing when it’s sitting on a serving table, so just bring it along and let people add as little or as much as they like!
And voila! That’s it. 7 simple ingredients (I told y’all, anything with more than 7 ingredients is a no for me), yet such amazingly fresh flavor! This salad is so perfect for this time of year when blueberries and watermelons are at the height of their season. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt I will be making this all summer long! If you’re feeling adventurous, feel free to add other fruits or veggies! I think chopped asparagus or cantaloupe would both be amazing additions and an even brighter pop of color!
Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend! Thanks for reading – let me know if any of you try this recipe!