Truth be told, I’ve never met a banana bread anything I didn’t like. Bananas are my favorite fruit and banana bread is one of my favorite (and only) things I like to bake. Self control and fresh banana bread are two things that do not belong in the same sentence for me, so finding a recipe with with simple, few (only 8 in the original recipe), and good-for-you ingredients is important. Because if you’re going to eat half a loaf by yourself in one day, as long as it has healthy ingredients it’s fine … right?
For those of you who don’t follow her, @rachlmansfield is the absolute queen of all things amazing in the world of food blogging. She is a “real food recipe developer”, she’s hilarious, she’s real, and 99% of my food inspo comes straight from her. If I’m being honest, I don’t know that I’ve made a recipe that wasn’t hers in the past three months.
That being said, I’ve tried tons of her recipes, but this might be one of my all time favorites. Her original recipe is called “Flourless Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Banana Bread“. The title alone makes you want to run to your kitchen does it not? You can click the link to go directly to her page to see the recipe (and drool over her pictures while you’re at it) but I’m also going to post it below. I followed the recipe almost exactly, but I did swap two things and add one of my own, which made my bread more of a bar consistency!
Wet ingredients –
- 3 medium/large ripe bananas mashed
- ½ cup Justin’s Honey Peanut Butter (or your favorite peanut butter of choice)
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted & cooled coconut oil
- Splash of vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut flour (I used almond flour!)
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Ancient Nutrition Bone Broth Vanilla Protein Powder (use: KaleKouture for 20% off!)
- ½ cup of Justin’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups cut into small pieces (I used Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips because I didn’t have these on hand!)
- ⅓ cup of Justin’s Banana Chips (I omitted these!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray your bread dish with coconut oil OR line it with parchment paper
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together wet ingredients with Kitchen Aid (if you don’t have Kitchen Aid just mix well with spatula)
- Once creamy, add in dry ingredients then mix together until well combined, make sure there aren’t any chunks of coconut flour in the mixture
- Pour into bread dish and bake for 20 minutes
- While the bread is baking, chop up dark chocolate peanut butter cups (I cut each 4 ways)
- After the bread has been baking for 20 minutes, top with chopped peanut butter cups and banana chips
- Bake for another 20 minutes then cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
- Will stay good for about 5 days in fridge or you can freeze for longer*
And that’s it! 9 ingredients, a few quick steps, and just 40 minutes will leave you with the some of the best banana bread/bars you’ll ever have. I’m posting the macros to my bars below, but just keep in mind this is for the recipe I followed which includes a couple of ingredient swaps! Now, go gather your ingredients and get to baking & go follow @Rachlmansfield for more amazing recipes!
Macros for 1 slice (mine made 8 total):
- 236 calories
- 18.7g carbs
- 15.2g fat
- 10.1g protein
Happy baking! Enjoy the rest of your week!