This recipe was recommended to me by a friend of mine, (Hi Julie!) and after making these protein balls only one time, I’ve memorized the recipe and am fully convinced they will be a staple in my weekly meal prep rolodex.
First of all, and really most importantly in my humble opinion, these protein balls taste like straight up cookie dough. I truly didn’t know if I would be able to get all 28 balls out of this recipe due to the amount I had eaten by the time I needed to start rolling the mixture. But besides that, this recipe could not be any simpler. You guys know by now that a “7 ingredient max” is my number one prerequisite for baking … and this recipe hits the nail on the head! It took me all of 10 minutes to get the ingredients, mix em all up, roll into balls, and stick in the fridge. I spent just as much time eating this dough as I did rolling it. It is so addicting, trust me.
These protein balls are the perfect pre workout snack because they contain a great amount of protein, carbs, and fat, which are all essential macronutritent components to properly fuel your muscles with before a workout. In addition to their macro makeup, they’re fairly small, so they wont weigh you down or make you feel sluggish if you eat one or two before you head to to the gym. They’re also perfect for early morning workouts! I don’t know about you, but it takes everything in me just to get out the door at 5:00am, let alone make myself a nutrient dense pre workout snack, so that’s where these come in! They’re quick and easy to grab and eat on the go on my way out the door so that I’m not working out on an empty stomach!
No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Energy Bites
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter of your choice
- 1/4 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup Enjoy Life Mini Chips
- pinch of salt
- *This recipe is considered dairy free because of the dairy free chocolate chips that are used. If you are not concerned with the dairy content, use whatever you’d like!
- Mix all the wet ingredients first – the peanut butter, honey, and vanilla, until it becomes creamy and combined. (*If your peanut butter is super thick, warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds to thin it out a little bit – this helps it combine with the other ingredients a little bit better!)
- Then mix in the dry ingredients – oats, chocolate chips, and coconut, until well combined.
- Roll into 1 inch balls – my recipe made 28 exactly.
- I added an extra step here and warmed up 1/4 cup of chocolate chips with a splash of almond milk in the microwave to create a chocolate drizzle for the top. Not a necessary step but totally recommended!
- Stick them in the fridge if you’ll eat them all within 5 days, or the freezer if you think it’ll be longer! Either way they taste fabulous!
My recipe made 28 protein balls, so the macros for each are listed below. If your recipe made more or less, plug in your ingredients to MFP and adjust accordingly!
- 106 calories
- 10g of carbs
- 7g of fat
- 3g of protein
And there you have it! 5 steps and 7 ingredients – it doesn’t get much easier than that! Special thanks to Erin at “Texaserin Baking“; the creator of this amazing recipe! Be sure to check out her blog for more awesome recipes.