Happy Tuesday friends! This blog post was totally inspired by you and I am so excited about that. I am really loving the new Instagram polling feature because I feel like it’s really going to help me tailor the blog in a way that allows me to post exactly what you’re wanting to see! It gives me quick feedback, and in addition to that being helpful for the sake of the blog, it’s also lighting a fire under my butt as far as blogging goes because I know this is stuff you’re truly interested in!
So, on to the good stuff, what I eat in a day. A few things you should know first:
- I love to meal prep, but I realize how much time it takes if you overcomplicate things so I try to prep foods that are quick and easy. This is key to making meal prep a habit: QUICK & EASY.
- You do not need to spend a ton of money in order to maintain a healthy diet. I buy 80% of my food at Hyvee, SAM’s Club, and Walmart. There are a few particular items that I eat that I can only get at Trader Joes, Whole Foods, or Sprouts, but I do not do the majority of my shopping there.
- I track macros, so that is how I plan what exactly I eat every day. That being said, my meals are personalized for me and what my body needs. What I eat in a day may be a good outline for you to follow, but please don’t think that by eating the exact things I eat, your body will respond the exact way mine does.
- A rule of thumb I try to always stick to is: 5 servings of veggies, and 1-2 servings of fruit per day, and the rest (protein, carbs, fats) is based around my macros!
- Even if you’re not tracking macros, a good rule of thumb for all of your bigger meals is: protein, carbs, and fats. If you make sure to include those three items, you’re on the right track to having a well rounded meal!
I try to eat a big, well rounded breakfast every single day, mainly because that’s the first thing that’s going in my body for the day. I like to think that if I start out on a good note, the rest of the day will follow suit! In addition to that, this meal has to last me from 6:00am to 10:00am so I want it to be hearty enough to keep me full for that long! I always make sure to include a protein (egg), carb (bagel and blackberries), and fat (peanut butter).
Mini Whole Wheat Bagel w 1 Tbsp peanut butter & a drizzle of honey + one hard boiled egg + 1/3 cup frozen blackberries
I drink coffee every single morning. I always stick to one cup, because any more than that and I am feeling sluggish, bloated, and dehydrated. In the summer, I mixed my coffee with protein shakes, but in the fall/winter I drink it hot so I don’t do that. I give it a little protein boost with one scoop of Vital Proteins collagen! For those of you who don’t know, collagen is a flavorless protein that dissolves into anything you want!
1 cup coffee + 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen
Morning Snack: 10:00am
I eat a snack around 10:00am because I don’t eat lunch until 12:30 and you’re cray if you think I can last 6.5 hours without eating. I have to eat something quick and easy that I can have in my classroom so that tends to be a bar of some kind. I also try to eat a veggie so that I can get a jump start on my 5 servings for the day. I have a wide range of bars I love, but I try to stick to something with a little protein to keep me full until I can eat lunch! I love RX bars, Square Bars, and Quest Hero bars.
85 grams of celery + Maple Sea Salt RX bar
My lunch is typically the meal that varies the most from week to week. It totally depends on what I’m feeling as far as meal prep goes, what I have time for, and what’s easy to pack! I am always trying to switch things up because I hate eating the same things over and over again. I still try to stick to a protein (ground turkey in the cauliflower rice), carb (grapes and carrots), and fat (hummus) and that is typically the key to holding me over until my afternoon snack.
Chicken fried cauliflower “rice” + green grapes + carrots + spicy avocado hummus
Afternoon Snack: 4:00pm
My afternoon snack doubles as my pre-workout snack so I typically eat something pretty carb heavy in order to fuel my workouts properly!
Banana + 1 Tbsp peanut butter
Dinner is another meal that spans a pretty wide variety depending on the week, but just like breakfast and lunch, I always make sure to include a protein (turkey burger), carb (sweet potatoes and brussels), and fat (turkey burger).
Butterball turkey burger (no bun, just plain!) + 100 grams sweet potatoes + 85 grams brussel sprouts
Yep. Dessert. I have a bigger sweet tooth than a five year old and neglecting it only does horrible things for me so I make sure to fit something sweet into my macros each night or I know I’m in trouble. 90% of the time it’s ice cream and Halo Top is my go-to. One serving of something sweet is typically enough for me, but if I’m still hungry, I drink some water with mio to curb my hunger when my macros are gone for the day!
1/2 cup Halo Top red velvet ice cream
Water: All. Day. Long.
You’re well aware of my constant struggle with drinking enough water, but I do shoot for 64 ounces of water per day. I use Mio in my water all day long, it helps!
64 ounces of water throughout the day + a few squirts of Mio
And there you have it! This is a very typical day for me so this should give you a good idea of what I’m usually eating. Like I said before – as long as you’re sticking to a good amount of protein, carbs, and fats at each meal, and some fruit and veggies in between, you’re on the right track! And then of course Halo Top whenever possible! 🙂 Thanks for reading and responding to the poll, I love hearing your feedback so let me know if this was helpful to you!