I am a breakfast girl through and through. I would prefer breakfast over any other meal, at any time of day! Growing up, breakfast for dinner was my absolute favorite. I would venture to guess it was probably because it gave me an excuse to eat a Toaster Pastry for dinner, (remember those?!) but nonetheless, the trend has continued into my mid 20’s.
Because I eat breakfast around 6am, and don’t get the chance to eat again until 10:30am, my breakfast has to pack a punch or I’m ravenous by 8am. I’ve spent the past two years trying different recipes and combinations of things that keep me satisfied all morning long, but it really hasn’t been until recently that I’ve felt like I nailed it.
Obviously what works for me, may not work for everyone. I know a lot of people that have more flexibility than I do as far as being able to eat throughout the day, so eating a big breakfast isn’t quite as important as it is for me. Regardless, it is critical to start your day with a well rounded breakfast. I know, such a cliche thing for a food/health blogger to say, but it couldn’t be more true. Eating breakfast gets your brain going, it helps wake you up in the morning, and it gets your metabolism going.
Below are my three favorite breakfast staple recipes/combos. If you’ve been following me for awhile, you’ve probably seen these make an appearance or two!
Protein Pancake Bites
Cottage Cheese w/ Eggs + Egg Whites + avocado
- 1/2 cup of egg whites + 1 egg, scrambled, on top of 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 avocado on top
Egg White Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup of oatmeal + 1/2 cup of water, microwave for 1 minute
- add 1/3 cup of egg whites, microwave for another another minute
In addition to any of these breakfast options, I always pair them with a serving of fruit, as well as a protein. These are always interchangeable, and truly just depend on what’s on sale for the week, what’s in season, and what I have on hand!
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 an apple
- 1/2 a banana
- turkey bacon egg cup (recipe is on my Instagram highlights!)
- hard boiled egg
- chicken sausage
- turkey sausage
What my meals typically look like
- egg white oatmeal + 1/2 cup berries or banana on top + hard boiled egg on the side
- 4 mini pancake bites + 1/2 an apple + 1 turkey bacon egg cup
- cottage cheese/egg mixture + 1/2 banana + 2 turkey sausage links or 1/2 avocado